Tuesday, September 20, 2022

When you hear the word "creativity," what comes to mind? How would you describe creativity?




When I hear of the word "Creativity" the first thing that comes to mind is the Brain. I believe the Brain is

 the first thing that comes to mind when I think of creativity because the frontal cortex is responsible for 

our creative thinking and is the center of creativity. I love the brain and I love being creative. When 

individuals ask me to describe myself in a word I always go with creative and I will always use creative 

thinking over any other form of thinking. Apart from loving creativity and the brain I love the medical 

field. So of course I believe it's only natural to associate my love for the medical field and the brain with 

creativity. 


I would describe creativity as solutions and innovations.


In high school I took classes like: 


- Principles of Biomedical Sciences


- Human Body System


- Human Anatomy and Physiology Honors


- Forensic Science


- First Aid and Safety


- Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries


- Psychology 1


- Psychology 2


- IB Psychology


Along with other science classes, I also joined and even started my own medical clubs. I held presidency in:


- Science National Honor Society


- National Honor Society of Psychology


- Health Occupations Students of America



While volunteering at a Hospital. Apart from my background in the sciences and the medical 


field I've always considered myself an extremely creative person. It's ironic because a big myth of 


creativity is that you can only be creative or find creativity in the arts and that the sciences is a career field 


or an area that lacks creativity. However, I disagree, I believe the sciences and the medical field is where 


creativity is needed and found the most. When I hear the word creativity I think of the brain and the 


frontal cortex as studies have shown the frontal cortex is responsible for creative thinking and is the center 


of creativity. In the medical field creative thinking is such an important skill to have. This also goes in 


hand with how I would describe creativity, solutions and innovation. If I had to state an example I would 


probably mention something in the medical field, whether it's a medical program, medical machine/device, 


surgical technique, etc. I love the medical field and although my thought process might be one influenced 


by  science, I also believe it's influenced by creativity. 



3 comments:

  1. Hey Danna! It's nice to see that someone is truly passionate about the medical field! It's such a tough job that definitely needs the right people. I like how you argued that the science field can be creative. In my major, I saw a few examples of this with one of my professors. He is known for doing animations for the medical field when it comes to the cardiovascular system and said there is a need for this to help doctors give presentations. It was the first time I realized how both science, art, and creativity can be beneficial to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you took the anatomical road of describing the term "creativity." Before reading your blog post, I didn't know that the frontal cortex was the part of the brain that is responsible for creative thinking or that it is the center of creativity. I enjoyed reading about the classes you have taken due to your love for creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you find creativity even in places where most people would argue that science-based fields are lacking of creativity because of their nature. Hopefully this mentality carries you forward in life as someone else mentioned in the comments above as their doctor does animations... I found that incredible honestly, there is always a place for creativity and its always great in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Comments (since I wasn't able to post them under peers entries)

Blake November 18, 2022 MAJOR It was interesting to see how you decided you major and your thought process as I had a different one. Nonethe...